Services & Activities of the A.H.U.
A.H.U performs in all clinical, educational and research levels
A.H.U. meets the needs of 600 visits/monthly (7000/yearly).
Adolescent medicine is practiced based on individualized needs, e.g. physical development, nutrition and physical activity, screening for infectious diseases, dental health, eye screening, chronic disease, immunization etc. High risk behavior screening and prevention (substance misuse, STIs, interpersonal violence etc), with an emphasis on encouraging adolescents towards a healthier life style. This involves the development of life skills towards self esteem, anger management, respect for differentiality, values of life and moral IQ, promoting youth participationand involvement of peers, family and teachers.
- Learning disorders and ADHD)
- Eating disorders
- Overweight and obesity
- Family Counseling, support, psychoeducation
- Psychosocial Health (dealing with anxiety, anger management, self-esteem issues, suicidal ideation etc)
- Sport Medicine
- Prevention (vaccinations, high risk behavior education, Health Check-up etc)
Other activities :
- A.H.U operates a free of charge support line called "Support", related to high risk behavior technology issues (internet addiction, cyber-bullying, grooming, inappropriate internet content etc). The helpline is in collaboration with the NGO «For Adolescent Health» www.youth-life.gr, under the auspices of ENACSO (European NGO Alliance for Child Safety Online) and addresses the needs of youth, family and school educators.
- Educational visits to schools, parent associations and municipalities, concerning youth health issues and quality of life (vaccinations, sex education, internet safety etc). Educational programs are applied, through a “train the trainer” approach and “peer to peer” youth participation (interactive learning through workshops, activities, demonstrations etc).
- Creation of educational material and brochures, in cooperation with the Health Ministry, to be used in schools, waiting rooms, meetings, event and online. http://youth-life.gr/index.php/el/flyers-gr
- Adolescence from “A to Z„ : a Parent Academy. 10 monthly two-hour interactive sessions for parents, concerning adolescent health and behavior, free of charge.
- ENABLE -European Network Against Bullying in Learning and Leisure Environments.
- A European project in collaboration with «For Adolescent Health» www.youth-life.gr that aims to tackle bullying in an holistic way and support children to exercise their fundamental rights at home, school and community. http://www.youth-life.gr/en/en/dex.php/en/enable-en
- "Live without bullying" in collaboration with the NGO KMOP-kindling a better world www.kmop.gr , AHU participates to the relevant platform, which aims to provide advice to children and adolescents facing problems of bullying all over the country. Through this electronic platform children/adolescents can communicate (anonymously) with peers and older students who have been trained as “mediators-advisors„ dealing with bullying issues. All conversations take place under the supervision of professional psychologists. Also, the program offers support to parents and teachers, through messaging systems www.livewithoutbullying.com
- “Schoolers”: a program for adolescents with school refusal (Youth Care Day Center). A.H.U runs this innovative activity for the first time in Greece, offering creative options for school droppers, aiming to their re-adjustment to school life.
- “ARIADNE”: a network of specialists and educators all over Greece trained and sensitized in adolescent health issues. The network is active and has a lot of activities in a local level, communicates through e-mails, newsletters and has top yearly events updating knowledge and expertise.
- Research projects concerning major youth health issues (eating disorders, sexual behavior, psychosocial wellbeing, technology addiction, vaccination etc). AHU’s research leads to publications in the International and Greek literature and has been awarded with 15 scientific awards. EU NET ADB is a European break through research project on internet addictive behaviors and other high risk symptomatology, coordinated by A.H.U.
- Youth to Youth Channels. This is a very innovative idea, through which young people work together and create material for their peers, mainly through technology (websites, social media, applications etc.). Some examples in English is the website Self-Chess www.selfchess.wordpress.com and the Instagram accounts teen_break and girly_note.